Thursday 19 May 2011

Linux for the Letcool (and other SPMP8000 gadgets)

There seem to be a lot of people out there wanting to have Linux support for their favourite game console, MP4 player and whatnot.

Those with a Dingoo are already happy, but up till now the great amount of Sunplus SPMP8000 based devices had to run their original firmware.

It would be a shame if Linux wouldn't conquer this nice piece of hardware, so I have decided to apply for this years GSoC with this project and give people what they want.

Don't expect it to be ready by next week however, but stay tuned and check this blog for updates.

You can also help!

I will ask for help in testing and for details about all the devices out there when the development is in that stage.

Until then, you can still do your part of the work:
Spread the word!
Leave comments in blogs and forums and link to this page so that anyone interested finds it.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a chinese no-name "PSP" which has a SPMP8K SOC. I've already connected wires to its serial port and all is OK.
    I haven't done any more development regarding this but I'd be interested in it if you start working.
    I cand test stuff and maybe help with the programming as I'me a programmer, even have some embedded experience.

    ReplyDelete