Saturday 21 May 2011

Serial console on the Letcool

To get closer to the inner workings of the processor, you'll need to have access to the serial port of it (for the advanced readers: there's no JTAG on this SoC).
Fortunately, it's quite easy to do so on the Letcool.

As I plan to work on the project in different places and still want to use the handheld for its original purpose the connection needs to be seemless.
Using a hole in the plastic next to the camera, a piece of a 2mm header and a 3.3V USB-serial converter I had lying around, this was an easy hack.

Notice the TP1 and TP2 pads at the upper left corner of the processor. These are the RX and TX lines:

A bit of cabling, and a handy ground point on the shoulder button:

Now all that's needed for development are two USB cables (the serial converter and a plain micro USB one):

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the effort, because I myself own a letcool and am forced to use firmware stagnant. I support you, and believe me: many people do that too! sorry for the google translator, but I do not speak english ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, I love my letcool but a good linux system would make it totally sing. Keep up the hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also own a Letcool and looking forward for Linux on it. Lot of people out there willing to donate for your hard work. Also please check the dingoonity forum cause booboo is asking if you have any docs or reference source code for the SPMP8000? You and booboo will make a great team. Cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Linux foundation GSoC student here, I'm really looking forward to see progress on your project.

    I don't own a letcool or a dingoo but I love cheap chinese gadgets, I will definitely buy a letcool if you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice dude. I´m looking foward to use Linux on my SPMP8000 device. Maybe you and TripleOxygen (http://www.openzeebo.org/) can join forces.

    ReplyDelete